Let’s dive into the world of cake baking and decorating! We will explore how to bake, torte, fill, ice, stack, and decorate a two-tiered cake and best of all you will walk home with your very own masterpiece.
Day 1 - it’s flower decorating time. We will learn how to make gum paste and figure out how to make a giant gum paste hydrangea.
Day 2 - It’s all about the cake. We will bake a deliciously moist chocolate cake from scratch, wrap and chill it for the next day. Our gum paste will be cured by then and we will make green leaves (cut from our self-made stencils), many sugar daffodils, and more loose hydrangea petals out of gum paste. To give these blooms life we will color each petal individually. These will be set aside to dry.
Day 3 - Buttercream! Participants will learn how to make Swiss meringue buttercream to torte, fill, and ice their chocolate cakes. Christine will share her technique for getting straight and level cake sides. It promises to be a messy and delicious day.
Day 4 - On the final day, participants will bring everything together as well as learn more piping techniques to pipe ruffles - horizontally, vertically, diagonally, or make swirls. The cakes will then be stacked and decorated with all the sugar flowers made on day 1. Participants will take home a masterpiece to share with family or friends.
Participants will also learn the importance of cleanliness in the kitchen. All participants will be responsible for assisting in washing up and cleaning the BARN Kitchen Arts Studio in accordance with our restaurant permit standards.
- This Summer Youth class is for youth ages 14-18.
- Registration will close on Monday, July 4th at 9:00 am.
- When you register your youth, please enter their name in the Youth's Name field and enter the parent/guardian email address for "registrants email". All reminders and important information will go to the email address you register with.
- Please complete and return this minor permission form by July 6.
- Please click here to register youth for an optional supervised lunch hour from 12-1 pm for the week of this class.
- Please click here for BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols
- There is a materials fee of $72 included in the price of the class.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available - click here to fill out the simple application before registering for a class. For those who might need physical assistance, please learn about BARN's Companion Program here.
- If you have any questions, please email BARN Youth Program Director Jess Henderson at email@example.com.
Christine Chapman has 20 years of cake decorating experience. She is the owner of Crumbs Cakery, a custom cake studio on Bainbridge Island. Christine is a self-taught cake artist and opened her shop 6 years ago on the island. Her work is known for its realistic art projects (dragons, robots, superheroes, etc ) and has been featured in numerous magazines. Check out her Instagram account crumbs.cakery to see her latest work!
Ktchen Arts trained volunteers can register to volunteer here.