This 4 session evening (in-studio) class is designed for students of all levels to become familiar with the jewelry studio space and tools. You will learn how to safely and efficiently use jeweler's tools through instructor demonstration and guided hands-on practice exercises. Students will start with a studio tour/facility walk through, studio guidelines, safety and policies. In addition, you will learn how to acquire a skills card and learn about our open studio protocols.
The skills you will be introduced to are: how to safely use a jeweler’s saw, bench shear, step shear, disc cutters, files, hammer identification, stamping tools, dapping tools, pliers, rolling mill, flex shaft, and the buffing wheel.
All of these skills will help you feel more comfortable and confident in our studio or yours and ready you for project classes. Each student gets to take home their samples and handouts for future practice and revision.
- Beginning level class, no jewelry experience necessary.
- Registration will close on Sun. 2/27 at 8:30pm.
- $30 materials fee is included in the tuition.
- Students with all levels of experience welcome. Ages 14 and up.
- Please click here for BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available - click here to fill out the simple application before registering for a class. For those who might need physical assistance, please learn about BARN's Companion Program here.
Sarah Jones is a BARN founding member, jewelry studio programming and steering committee member. She is a local Bainbridge Island artist, and teacher with experience in fine metal arts, jewelry, ceramics, sculpture, stained glass, and photography.
Because Sarah is a visual and tactile learner herself, her classes typically involve a lot of hands-on learning time. In addition, Sarah’s classes are accompanied by printed information and resources for her students to refer back to when practicing their new skills.
Sarah’s art has been displayed in the Seattle Metals Guild exhibitions and Bainbridge Arts & Craft exhibitions.
You can view her recent work on Instagram at: @sarahjonesjewelry and @foggyroaddesigns.