* This class has a pre-requisite. Please see below.
A violin or fiddle, like any instrument, needs periodic adjustment to perform at its best. This class will teach you how to do it.
Violin builder Clay Levit will discuss the basic mechanics of how a violin produces sound and demonstrate aspects of basic violin set up including correct restringing, lubricating nut slots, and placement and adjustment of the bridge, sound post, and tailpiece. These adjustments will help get the optimal tone and playability from your violin.
Although these adjustments are preferably done by professional luthiers, they can be done by players themselves with some experience and practice.
Note: Bring your own violin and provide strings if you want to change them.
Instructor: Clay Levit. Clay is a fiddle player and violin maker. He formerly owned the Fiddler's Green Music Shop in Austin.
- Ages 14+ are welcome.
- Open to those who have taken Orientation to the Woodshop. Multiple sessions are listed on the Woodworking Calendar.
- BARN is practicing safety measures for the health and well-being of all participants, in accordance with state and CDC guidelines. Overall BARN safety policies are here.
- You must wear closed-toe shoes.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.