**This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom. Class time is Pacific Time**
Take your creative expression to new heights in this BARN exclusive online class. You will use the fabric piecing principles of Boro, a traditional Japanese mending and quilting technique, and associated Sashiko hand embroidery skills to elevate a stack of everyday scraps into rich one-of-a-kind textiles that will beautifully adorn your home as a one-of-a-kind art piece. Join internationally renowned instructors Shannon & Jason Mullett-Bowlsby and explore the exciting Japanese textile art of Boro!
Beginners encouraged – No experience necessary!
Recycling, repairing, and reworking textiles using Boro and Sashiko is perfect for the maker who is ready to try something new and exciting. Even if you have never done any hand sewing and never fused two pieces of fabric together with a needle and thread, this class is for you! If you’ve wanted to try quilting but were intimidated by stodgy traditional techniques, you’re going to love this class.
We’ll use Boro techniques to create a whole new panel of unique fabric from seemingly unusable remnants and odd pieces. In just a week, you’ll have a stunning new fabric that you can use by itself to enhance your home décor or use as the basis for a larger project like a quilt top, tote, or throw.
Want to make your reworked fabric even more special? Use an old shirt, a pair of jeans, old ties, or favorite fabric remnants, and we will work them into your design! Any fabric will do. Woven fabrics, pieces of lace, crocheted or knitted motifs… bring it on!
Join us and reignite your creativity—one stitch at a time.
What to bring to class:
For this Boro Wall Hanging class you will need a basic Sashiko kit with needle, thread, and thimble; some kind of base fabric (simple cotton or muslin) at least 12” square but rectangular shapes work great too; and scraps of fabric you love. We recommend a few fat quarters with patterns and colors.
- Fabric scissors
- Pencil and pen
- Washable fabric pen/pencil
- Fabric pieces or scraps for cutting up and sewing into patches for your wall hanging. We recommend cottons, linen, light denim… the more random the better. Get as fancy or plain as you like!
Shannon & Jason have an optional kit with the tools and the base fabric available on their website. Please be sure to allow enough time to order and receive this kit before the class begins.
Note: This workshop will be recorded. You will be emailed a link at the end of the first session so you can watch the video and practice between sessions. Recordings of both sessions will be available to registrants for 30 days after the class. Can’t join at the scheduled times? Register and watch on your own schedule—as many times as you like—for 30 days.
- Wall Hanging Base fabric
- Clover Adjustable Ring Thimble with Plate - Item #611
- Sashiko Needles Long Type - Item #2009
- White Marking Pen - Item # 517
- Aurifil 12 Weight Cotton Thread - 2 Colors
- Glue Stick
- Registration for this class will close on Wednesday, February 23rd, at 3:00 pm.
- This class will be taught via the Zoom video conferencing program. For a great video on how to use Zoom, watch this tutorial.
- A Zoom link will be sent to the email address you registered with one day prior to the event start date. Please watch for this email. You may need to check your spam folder for emails from BARN.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here before you register to complete our simple form.
- BARN reserves the right to cancel this class in the case of low enrollment and a full refund will be given.
Shannon Leigh Roudhán and Jason Bowlsby are the dynamic DIY duo from Seattle, Washington. Their award-winning crochet, knit, and sewing designs have been featured in and on the covers of domestic and international publications and their craft, portrait, and fashion photography has appeared in books and magazines around the globe. Shannon & Jason have published 10 books of crochet and knitwear patterns including complete Crochet Course – the Ultimate Reference Guide, Designer Crochet, and Crochet Geometry. Their latest book is titled Boro & Sashiko: Harmonious Imperfection from C&T Publishing.
The duo have been partners in life for 27 years and have been teaching adults for 20+ years. With their mastery of subjects from crochet and knitting to photography, spinning, sewing, and quilting, their enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and relatable teaching style have made them sought after teachers in both local and national venues such as Sew Expo, Houston Quilt Festival, Pacific International Quilt Festival, and the Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network (BARN). They also have a wide range of online classes available from Craftsy and Creative Spark Online. The “edu-tainment” experience of a class with Shannon & Jason will leave you informed, empowered, and in stitches (see what we did there?).
Shannon and Jason's Social Media Links: