The Jack Archer Welding & Sheet (JAWS) metal Orientation class is required for folks new to the shop. You’ll get a full overview of the capabilities, hazards, and safety protocols practiced while working in this space. Major tools will be identified and their use discussed along with the related hazards. You’ll learn the various welding and plasma cutting capabilities JAWS has to offer, and proper use of grinders, cutters, and saws. You’ll also be introduced to the myriad sheet metal working tools available, both hand-held, as well as the larger shears, roll, brakes, and spot welder.
This “Observe & Learn”, no-cost class offers only the basic but required understanding of what’s possible in JAWS. Hands-on experience with these tools is gained by taking classes, the first and best being our Wacky-Tacky Art class (link here), where you’ll use several tools to make a wacky piece of your own.This class is free but please register as there is a class size limitation of 4 students. Class size is for safety so the instructor can focus on the presentation and to help students.
- Safety and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) will be provided by BARN.
- Students must wear natural fiber clothing, long sleeves, long pants, and closed toe shoes (preferably leather or cotton). No stretch fabrics.
- Please read the Metal Fabrication Studio specific safety protocols here.
- BARN-wide safety protocols can be found here.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.