**This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom. Class time is Pacific Time.**
Build your confidence in Book Arts skills by learning to make a variety of quite simple book-forms such as pamphlets, booklets, brochures, cards, and zines. Then challenge your own personal creativity by adding to each thoughts/words you want to convey, then uniquely enhancing your creation to become an original art-book.
- An overview PowerPoint presentation that covers more possible products and styles than could ever fit onto our entire studio work space;
- Instructor demonstrations of the key skills and tools used in making each book-form;
- Vocabulary – all the strange Book Arts words and phrases that will have become ‘friends’ by the end of the second session. This will also be emailed as a Handout.
This two-session class is part of the Print & Book Studio’s Beginners Series, in which all the basic techniques will be explored; all the vocabulary of the world-of-book will become familiar; and each of your creations/products will be a source of pride.
In this class, Pamphlets & Company, not only will you acquire and refine book-making skills, you will also learn tips & hints along the way that will make future book-making experiences really fun!
Construction techniques like measuring, cutting, folding, gluing, extending, covering, and wrapping are all utilized, along with more complex notions such as creating illusions, 3-D effects, the power of words, and the subtlety of color will all become tools for you to effectively use as you work. We will be using a variety of materials in making these “cousins” of bound books – both as a means for learning the different characteristics (and demands) of available materials, and for you to actually experience the different effects that different materials can make.
In the first of the two sessions we will get acquainted with each of these ‘book’ forms through –
We will make two of the five forms during the first session, but leave the embellishing and writing as homework between session – this gives each of you time to think, ponder, edit.... and finalize on your own. It will also provide you with experience: that priceless element of creative discussion. And THAT – a creative review and discussion – is exactly how we will start the second session. Then, with lots of great ideas flying around, we go on to the creation of the remaining three forms.
It’s going to be a great class! DON’T MISS IT.
- Registration for this class will close on Sunday, October 3rd at 2:30pm so that kits can be assembled and mailed or made ready for pickup in a timely manner. If you are registering to have the kit mailed, please confirm your mailing address. Refunds or credits will not be issued after October 3.
- You will be notified via email after 10/4, when kits are ready for pick up.
- This class will be taught via Zoom. For a great video on how to use Zoom, watch this tutorial. Please make sure you have the most current version of the Zoom software.
- A link to join this online event will be sent to the email you registered with. Please watch for this email. You may need to check your spam folder.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
Susan M. Callan has been a devotee of Book Arts for almost 30 years.
In the mid 2000’s, she was invited to join a 12-artist team, each teaching their own discipline under the auspices of The Creativity Center. In the Center’s 5-year run here on Bainbridge, she discovered the genuine joy of sharing her Book Arts knowledge and skills with enthusiastic students. She has been teaching (and, of course, still learning) all aspects of Book Arts, as well as the study of Creativity, ever since.In 2017 and 2019, she taught classes in creativity at the biennial national conference, FOBA (Focus on Book Arts), in Oregon. These classes blended Book Arts with Creativity, an approach she continues to integrate into her BARN classes today.