**This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom.**
Take your scrappy wonky quilt block skills to the next level by adding dimension through panels and framing. This alternate method of assembling scrappy wonky blocks uses charting and your own creativity to create one-of-a-kind blocks that are individual works of art.
Choose to assemble them into a modern art quilt, display each of them separately, or use them as part of an existing garment or accessory (think patch pockets, decorative mending, and embellishments). The application for these scrappy wonky treasures is limited only by your imagination… and we hope to give you some inspirations during class.
Come to class with at least three scrappy wonky blocks that are around 6”. Yes, they can be smaller. No, they do not need to be square at all… scrappy and wonky is the point! Just pick your favorite blocks from past classes or assemble one of the patterns in your handout and we will pick up from there at the beginning of class and turn them all into your own personal fiber arts masterpieces.
Please have a sewing machine and know how to sew a straight line. Students should have taken the Scrappy Wonky Quilt class or have prior experience in Scrappy Wonky quilt construction.
- Sewing machine
- Sewing thread in a neutral color – We use Aurifil 50wt thread for sewing
- Fabric scissors
- Thread snips
- Iron and ironing mat or pressing tool like the Clover Roll & Press or a Hera marker
- Quilting ruler
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Fabric of your choice (random scraps in your favorite colors and patterns).
- Class will begin at 10:00 am and go until 12:00 pm. We will take a break to work on our projects and reconvene at 4:00pm until 6:00 pm.
- This class will be taught via the Zoom video conferencing program. For a great video on how to use Zoom, watch this tutorial. Please make sure you have the most current version of the Zoom software.
- A Zoom link will be sent to the email address you registered with one day prior to the class. Please watch for this email. You may need to check your spam folder for emails from BARN.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
- Skill Level: Beginning, ability to make a scrappy quilt block
- Ages 14+ Welcome
Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby are the dynamic DIY duo known as the Shibaguyz, the inspired creators of Shibaguyz Designz studio.
The Shibaguyz’ award-winning crochet, knit, and sewing designs have been featured in and on the covers of dozens of domestic and international publications. Together, the Shibaguyz team currently has over 300 published patterns and 11 books credited to their name since their first design was featured on a magazine cover in 2010.
Their fashion and portrait photography work can be seen in four of their books. They are sought-after freelance book-packaging designers, having created books for major publishing companies like Sterling Publishing, Leisure Arts, and Creative Publishing. The Shibaguyz have been teaching adults for 30+ years. Their enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and relatable teaching style have made them sought-after teachers in both local and national venues like STITCHES Events, Vogue Knitting LIVE, and DFW Fiber Fest. They also have a wide range of online classes available from Blueprint and Interweave.
Shannon and Jason are proud ambassadors for Aurifil, Clover, BERNINA, Soak Wash, and the Daylight Company. They are working on a new book with C&T Publishing. Look for it in December 2020.
Shannon and Jason live in Seattle, Washington with their three Shiba Inu who, more or less, support their ventures in sewing, stitching, and crafting… so long as enough time is taken for walks and treats.
Shannon and Jason's Social Media Links: