**This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom.**
Sashiko, the Japanese hand stitching technique for patching and reinforcing fabric is the hot “new” trend in hand stitching. Traditional Sashiko stitches and modern adaptations can be seen in the visible mending trend, in home décor, and on fashion runways. In this class, we will learn the traditional hand stitched patterns of Kogin Sashiko – a version of the sashiko running stitch that is worked by counting threads or “bars” in fabric to create stunning Japanese motifs of repeating geometric patterns. Once you learn the skills for creating these motifs, you can apply them on a larger scale to overall fabric embellishments and enhancements. Embroidery enthusiasts will love adding this stitching technique to your repertoire.
Session one – 2 hours
- Tools and how to use them
- Reading Charts
- Unshin - blocks
- Start beginning motif from center out
Homework: finish beginning motif
Session two – 2 hours
- Tiling to make larger motif
- Adding blocks from unshin practice
Kit provided by instructor:
Kits will include: fabric, sashiko needle, palm thimble, Aurifil embroidery floss, hand sewing needle, 50 wt thread and extensive handout with Sashiko templates.
Kits will be mailed out to participants 10 days before the class. Please verify your mailing address when you register.
Supplies students need to have on hand
- Thread snips
- Graph paper
Magnifier lamp (like the Daylight Yo-Yo or Halo Go) – If you need brighter lights or magnifiers for cross stitch and embroidery, you will need that same lighting and magnifier for Kogin. You will probably see us working with one or both of these during class and we definitely use them when we are sitting on the couch and stitching.
- Registration will close November 4th at 3:00 PM.
- A Zoom link to join online will be sent to you one day before the class. Please watch for this email.
- In gratitude to our members for their continued support during the closures, BARN is offering all classes for free to BARN members through December 2020. Members are still responsible for paying materials and mailing fees, where applicable. If a class is full, please add your name to the wait list in case a space opens up or we are able to offer another class. Check our calendar frequently as more classes are being added each week!
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
- Skill Level: You know how to thread a needle… yup…that’s it.
- Ages 14+ welcome.
Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby are the dynamic DIY duo known as the Shibaguyz, the inspired creators of Shibaguyz Designz studio.
The Shibaguyz’ award winning crochet, knit, and sewing designs have been featured in and on the covers of dozens of domestic and international publications. Together, the Shibaguyz team currently has over 300 published patterns and 11 books credited to their name since their first design was featured on a magazine cover in 2010.
Their fashion and portrait photography work can be seen in four of their books. They are sought-after freelance book-packaging designers having created books for major publishing companies like Sterling Publishing, Leisure Arts, and Creative Publishing. The Shibaguyz have been teaching adults for 30+ years. Their enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and relatable teaching style have made them sought after teachers in both local and national venues like STITCHES Events, Vogue Knitting LIVE, and DFW Fiber Fest. They also have a wide range of online classes available from Blueprint and Interweave.
Shannon and Jason are proud ambassadors for Aurifil, Clover, BERNINA, Soak Wash, and the Daylight Company. They are working on a new book with C&T Publishing. Look for it in December 2020.
Shannon and Jason live in Seattle, Washington with their three Shiba Inu who, more or less, support their ventures in sewing, stitching, and crafting… so long as enough time is taken for walks and treats.