Meg Hartwell, one of our island artists, will demonstrate her collage techniques using archival glues and a variety of papers. Fun and exciting images will be created by using color, texture, composition and movement through the compilation of old print pieces (bring yours if you have some), old stamps, a selection of beautiful hand-made papers, thin tissue papers, marbled paper, hand-written notes, old maps and diagrams.
Participants will be working fairly quickly collaging imagery together to create their own unique compositions, using the press to flatten and compress their final images.
The purpose of this workshop is to really loosen-up, have fun, take risks and enjoy making new work in a different way!
- This session is geared to all levels of artists.
- Your participation in this workshop qualifies as one of the prerequisites for working on your own in the BARN Print Studio.
- Feel free to bring a sack lunch and snacks; you can store and reheat food in the building kitchenette.
- A Materials Fee of $25 will be added to the class cost when you register which includes two large sheets of print paper.
- Additional paper is available for purchase at $5/sheet.
About the Instructor
Meg Hartwell has her MFA in Painting and Drawing from Otis Parson’s School of Design & Art and works in painting, woodworking and printmaking. She has lived throughout the United States, mostly in Phoenix, and currently resides on Bainbridge Island. Her travels in Mexico are reflected in her work.
Meg creates a visual language inspired by vibrant colors, pop art and abstract expressionism by tearing, cutting and assembling printed paper pieces into a final composition. Meg also uses printmaking which allows her to embrace happy accidents as well as a variety of mark making.
Meg has shown her work in galleries across the country and is currently represented by Island Gallery here on Bainbridge Island.